At Girl Scouts, we seek to instill in girls the fundamental values of respect for all, inclusivity, equity, and the belief that injustice anywhere is a slight to justice everywhere.
For more than 100 years, we have prepared girls to be leaders in our world, to speak up, speak out, and take action for fairness, equality, civility, and compassion for all people, and to arm them with the courage, confidence, and character they need to make our world a better place. Girl Scouts will always stand for justice, for respect, and for the inherent value and worth of each individual who makes up the beautiful and richly diverse tapestry of the United States.
There are multiple actions we can all take right now. Girl Scouts of Northern California is providing a list of resources and organizations to help you get involved:
- Donate to the George Floyd Memorial Fund
- Assist with urgent community, school, and rebuilding needs
- Donate to justice organizations and protest support groups
- Learn about anti-racism and how to talk with children about race in classrooms and beyond
- Shop at Black-owned businesses and restauraunts
Please let us know about organizations or resources you would like to see included. We will continue to update this list as we are able, but know that needs are changing quickly. Links to the planning groups or organizations have been provided. Please confirm with those groups before proceeding.
Thank you for your determination to lead every day and to inspire girls to be leaders and advocates for the issues and ideas important to them.
- Reclaim the Block - Organizes Minneapolis community and city council members to move money from the police department into other areas of the city’s budget that promote community health and safety.
- Black Visions Collective - A Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
- Minnesota Freedom Fund - Pays bail and immigration bond fees, organizes to eliminate cash bail and ICE detention.
- North Star Health Collective - An alliance of street medics, radical health organizers, and community health trainers. At this time, they say they have enough money and supplies, and provided a list of other organizations to support.
- SoOakland - Crowdfund organized to help rebuild Oakland's Black-owned businesses.
- Black Organizing Project - An organization reviving the spirit of Oakland's Black community through leadership development, political education and policy-change.
Resources for Children
- National Museum of African American History and Culture - Guides on talking about race in classrooms, in families (provides age-level guides), and with community.