Already a member? Log in to renew.
Join as a Volunteer
Girl Scouts of Northern California relies on nearly 30,000 dedicated, enthusiastic volunteers like you to lead our troops, help at camp, teach workshops, and more. We just couldn’t do it without you!
As a volunteer, you’ll introduce girls to new experiences that show them they’re capable of more than they ever imagined. They’ll each find their inner G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-Taker, Leader)™ after all!
You’ll be their cheerleader, guide, and mentor, helping them develop essential life skills and confidence that will last a lifetime. Imagine the excitement, the impact, the memories made—those are the moments you’ll share at Girl Scouts.
Looking to start your own troop?
Start the process by requesting a troop number—we'll help you get registered once your troop number is ready! Learn more and requests yours in our How to Start a Troop guide.
How to Join an Existing Troop as a Volunteer
- Register as a volunteer. Whether you're a new volunteer or are just adding a new role, begin by registering as a member. We'll just ask for some basic information to get you all set up in our system before diving into the details!
- Select a role. You can browse the volunteer opportunities in your area or for a particular troop. Not sure which role is right for you? Learn more about our most common roles and ways to volunteer. (Still not sure? You can always select "Unsure" during the sign-up process and a member of our team will gladly help you find the perfect fit.)
- Become a member. Next, you will provide us with some more detailed information about you and pay the national membership dues. Dues support the national Girl Scouts organization, covers you under our liability insurance, and supports the research and program development our local council relies upon.
- Complete a background check. Because you’ll be working directly with youth, this step is required. This will take a few days to process, and you can read more about background checks in the Adult Screening Process section of Volunteer Essentials.
- Complete your training and orientation. Looking for training opportunities and resources that will help set you up for success? That's what our Volunteer Learning Portal is for!