GSNorCal offers multiple avenues to get started with robotics. If you are new to robotics we recommend the following:
- Tinker with Lego® Mindstorm NXT kits with your troop and see if it sparks your interest. Reserve your kits online!
- Attend an introduction to robotics workshop hosted by teams and/or staff
- Be a spectator at a local Bay Area FLL tournament or VEX IQ competition
Current teams participate in FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) and VEX robotics competitions. Our teams have earned multiple achievements, including awards, press coverage and gone on to championships!
For Juniors and Cadettes:
- FIRST® Lego League (Grades 4-8) - Build and program robots that will compete in the FLL annual challenge
- FIRST® Tech Challenge (Grades 7-12) - Compete with other FTC teams by exploring the connection between robotics and sports
- VEX IQ (Grades 3-8) - Solve robot and research project challenges and compete in multiple year-round events
For Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors:
- VEX Robotics Competition (Grades 7-12) – Participate in a yearly engineering challenges in the form of a game. Build robots and compete year-round in a variety of matches. Learn about our VEX Space Cookies team working out of NASA Ames.
- FIRST Robotics Competition Robotics Team (Grades 9-12) Dive deeper into parts fabrication, CAD design, and electrical circuits. Learn about our FRC Space Cookies team working with NASA Ames and Google.
What does it mean to start a team?
If you or your troop is interested in starting a team, check out this FAQ with information on starting a team and team responsibilities.
Want to join an existing team?
Contact us if you are interested in learning about any existing teams in your community.
For more information, please contact email@example.com